Gaslighting, something one should get a taste of as early as possible, because it is important to develop a coping mechanism that cannot, and should not be overpowered.
I know it’s tough. Even I ended up being “that suggestible loser”.
I’ve had my first experience recently, to be particular, today. A few hours ago. So, I felt the need to talk about it.
I always like to venture into multiple activites, and someone had problems due to the same. That someone is my friend, and makes me feel I am not good enough for anything. Not point-blank, but tangentially.
These are a few comebacks that worked for me:
- The energy you wasted in analysing every aspect of my life, could have been channelised into something productive.
- No need to tell me what’s better for me. I am already fortunate to have many other wellwishers around.
- I am immune to gaslighting. Try this on someone else.
If you don’t think you need to get into a heated arguement or a dramatic stand-off, these are the things you should tell yourself:
- You are sane, trust me. You don’t need to prove your worth in accordance with standards set by others.
- You’re great, sane, brilliant.(Think about people who love you and you believe you are blessed to have in your life.)
- I don’t give a shit. (My All Time Favourite).
So, if you feel IDGAF-ish, Viola! You just mastered the art of dealing with gaslighters.